When employees feel overwhelmed at work, they lose confidence and may become irritable or withdrawn. This can make them less productive and less effective in their job, and make the work seem less rewarding.
Some warning signs include:
- Feeling anxious, irritable, or depressed
- Apathy, loss of interest in work
- Problems sleeping
- Trouble concentrating
- Muscle tension or headaches
- Stomach problems
- Social withdrawal
Common causes of excessive workplace stress can include:
- Fear of being laid off
- More overtime due to staff cutbacks
- Pressure to perform to meet rising expectations but with no increase in job satisfaction
- Pressure to work at optimum levels all the time!